Wednesday 1 July 2009

Some DIY Simple Stuff

Well, I have to say that I am actually an artistic person.
Don't frown yet, ppl. It's true.
I love art. I took Interior Design Study back in college. I love art and craft lessons back in primary school. I love paintings. I can cook simple meals. And I cut my sister's hair when I was in Secondary school. It was not that bad you know.
.
.
.
Well, actually I don't know why my sister trusted her hair with me that time. But yeah, she did and every hair-cutting session was always a success until one time I accidentally snapped the the razor at one wrong spot (because we were busy talking) which resulted in a 5cm-hair among her shoulder-length hair. And she had to live with her birdie-hair for some months.
Thinking back on that. It was a really really hilarious moment. HAHAHA.

But... you know what. A couple of years later, Agnes Monica was seen sporting THAT hairstyle. I think you guys still remember it. Spiky on the top, long at the tail in neon pink or some bright color, if I'm not mistaken. So.. you see, I could foretell a trend. Trust your hair with me!!!
*.^
.
.
.
Anyway, it was a phase where I was in search of identity, I suppose.
And now. I'm gonna try my luck again in the art department.
These are what I have made on my own.
Take a look.

I have many bangles and earrings. I want them to be stored neatly and tidily. I put my bangles in a shoe box. But they can't stay put and keep rolling here and there. And the price for a velvet bangle holder or stand is ridiculously pricey.

I bought an earring stand a couple of years ago, and Devia gave me two of her earring stands, which means there are 3 earring stands. They are made of plastic. But still, it's not enough for all my earring collections. I wanted to buy the steel earring stand which can be turned, like those sold in stores. Around 100k rupiahs or so. Too expensive.
So instead of buying a velvet bangle stand and a steel earring stand, I bought this:

Photobucket
Styrofoam
Silver cardboard
Bright yellow crepe paper
Scotch tape (preferably double tape) and scissors
And some thumbtacks for fastening.

First, for bangle holder.
Cut the silver cardboard into a smaller rectangular shape, then roll it up and secure it with double tape. The diameter depends on the diameter of your bangles. So, you do the math by yourself. It's easy. You will have something like this afterwards :

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

There goes your DIY bangle holder.
Your bangles will stay put instead of rolling here and there and everywhere.

For the earring stand.
Layer the crepe paper on top of the Styrofoam. Secure it at the back tidily with some push pins or thumb tacks. Using scotch tape will do, but it goes off pretty easily.
And...........
TAAADAAAAA.....
Here goes your earring stand.

Photobucket

You can hang your necklaces on it too. By using thumbtacks to hold the necklaces.
I saw an accessory shop displaying its accessories this way, only that they don't use styrofoam like this, but a more sturdy one with a better quality.

Then, I was looking at pictures at an online shopping store when I saw a simple black bow hair pin which costs around 60,000 rupiahs. It was a very simple one. Too expensive for a simple hair pin. So, I decided to make it by myself. It's pretty easy.

This is all you need :

Photobucket

With a little magic, sprinkled with talent and determination and patience, here are the results:

Photobucket

Silver triple bows hair ornament

Photobucket

Black double bows hair ornament

Photobucket

This is what they sell. Not pretty much alike. I just notice that theirs have four bows. Tomorrow I'm gonna give it a try. I'll post it again once I'm done.
Anyway, now it's up to you. The 60,000 one has a Korean feel, the DIY one has a personal touch. So now ppl, the ball is in your court.

And anyway, my next post will be about how I store my accessories. It will be a reply post to Fran's 26 June one.
Do wait for it. Thanks and come back again...
Adios......

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment